Wednesday, October 18, 2006


LA REVE (THE DREAM)


So... I'm watching a movie that takes place in Vegas (Black 13 came up on the roullette table*), and I was reading the news about the Picasso painting which got a hole poked in it by Steve Wynn. The painting is called La Reve, as is the Cirque-du-Soleilish water show at the Wynn hotel (I stayed at the Wynn while in Vegas last, but I did not see the show as I was too busy winning money on the craps and roullette tables). What's really freaking me out right now is that a print of La Reve is looking out at me from the wall next to the TV which is situated across from where I am sitting.

Nora Ephron happened to be there to witness the Picasso painting poking event. Apparently, Steve has a depth perception problem and a skill for increasing a painting's worth overnight. I'm not a proponent of conspiracy propoganda, but... all I'm saying is how lucky we are to have a skilled writer of Ms. Ephron's caliber there to chronicle the event.

I'm sorry, but I'm a little suspicious. Though, I am amazed at how damaging something might potentially increase its worth with the mere act of creating an interesting back story for the artwork. Call me cynical, call me pale... I've spent six nights drinking ale. The best conclusions I've reached so far are spend more time outside and don't trust anything you read. Except the words that you see here.

Picasso was overrated. The phallic symbol in the subject painting (above) is so obvious, it's almost laughably offensive. Gives new meaning to the term "dickhead". Head & Shoulders, Johnson & Johnson. As I cocked my head, pondering my last statements, I sit satisfied knowing my critique of Pablo will someday be accepted by the rest of the art world.

*The Pick-up Artist, with Robert Downey, Jr. and Molly Ringwald, also contains a scene in Vegas involving betting Black 13 in roullette. It was on TV the next day after the Reve newsday. The movie I was half-watching that day starred John Cleese, Alicia Silverstone and Woody Harrelson but I never figured out its name, and it wasn't good for me to bother looking it up. All I'm saying is the signs are definitely all around us... I just have no clue what they all mean.

2 Comments:

Blogger sadielady said...

I don't see the phallic symbol in that painting. And I'm all about noticing dick, so you would think that I would notice that kind of thing.

"All I'm saying is the signs are definitely all around us... I just have no clue what they all mean." - - this could be the theme of my life.

10:01 PM  
Blogger sadielady said...

oh, okay, wait ... now i see it.

damn.

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home