Saturday, October 27, 2007

THE MATRIX HAS YOU
Mayor Gavin Newsom (above) - I saw him sitting at a bar (Matrix), signing letters. That's a pretty cool thing to do for a mayor, but then again, San Francisco has got a cool mayor. Yeah, he got himself in a little trouble for sleeping with his campaign manager's wife, but c'mon... the man's hair is immaculate - you can't hold something like a small affair against him.

Our Conversation:

IMOL: Hey, Gavin - how's it going?
MAYOR: [smiling] Hi.
IMOL: Heard you on the Alice Morning Show the other day - you were pretty funny.
MAYOR: Oh, thanks. Thanks a lot.
IMOL: [to bartender] Ketel One Martini, up, extra dry with an olive, please... [back to Mayor] I was really impressed by how well you answered those calls. You really know what's going on in the city... like you're really reading all those "Pet Peeves" postings on your website.
MAYOR: Well, I do... though I've been so busy lately, I've probably personally only read about 80% of those recently.
IMOL: I wonder if you've seen the pet peeve I submitted then...
MAYOR: What was it?
IMOL: Complaint with DPT [Department of Parking & Traffic] - I tried to pay some parking tickets in person, and they said I couldn't pay with a check... they said that they only accepted checks that were sent by mail [at this point, IMOL puts shoulders and palms up as if to say WTF]...
MAYOR: [double blink] That's just plain silly.
IMOL: I know, that's why I submitted it.
MAYOR: I haven't seen it yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it because that's absolutely ridiculous, you're right.
IMOL: Cool - well, thank you, Mr. Mayor - keep up the good work... I'll definitely be voting for you again.
MAYOR: Thanks, I could use all the support I can get...
IMOL: [lifts his glass in appreciation and takes a big swig] Take care.
MAYOR: [nodding and smiling again] You, too...

Then he got back to signing his letters. Super charismatic guy, he is. The Democrats could have really used him nationally if it weren't for that whole same-sex marriage issue debacle (and that little affair thing.) Someday, the rest of the country will catch up with his progressive vision.